Welcome to MSMHC Society
The Congregation of Missionary Sisters of Mary Help of Christians, the first indigenous Congregation in North East India was founded on October 24, 1942, at Guwahati, Assam by His Excellency Stephen Ferrando, SDB, the then Bishop of Shillong.
By naming the Congregation after Mary Help of Christians, Bishop Ferrando erected a living monument in her honour in North East India. The Congregation became an Institute of Pontifical Right on 21 March 1977 during the Pontificate of Paul VI and in 1986, Don E. Vigano, sdb the Rector Major gave the Congregation official recognition as a member of the Salesian Family.
The Founder entrusted the government of the budding Congregation initially to the Salesian Sisters (FMA). In 1968, when Mother Nellie Nunes FMA was withdrawn, Sr. Magdaline Surin MSMHC who was the Vicar General of the Congregation guided the Congregation until the appointment of Sr. Mary Rose Thapa, as the first MSMHC Mother General, in 1970.
The Congregation has five provinces in India and a delegation in Italy. The provincial headquarters are at Dibrugarh, Tezpur, Shillong, Kolkata and Bangalore and the delegation headquarter is at Turin, Italy. It has 1078 members belonging to 53 ethnic groups working in 179 centres in India, 10 in Italy, 2 in South Africa, 1 in Hawaii and 1 in Sudan.